Monday 27 February 2012

DANNY HOWARD INTERVIEW

After winning the RADIO 1 superstar DJ competition in 2011 this guy has just shot into the limelight on the house music scene , here's our interview with Danny Howard.



1. You have achieved so much in your djing at such a young age , what first made you want to become a dj ?
Well, I've always been into music which I know helps if you want to be a DJ haha, but I guess my desire to want to become a DJ was when I used to sit on my computer after school when I was like 12, and watch videos of Tiesto playing to a ridiculous amount of people! You used to get a buzz just watching it... so to now get the chance to do it is just unreal!

2. Who influenced your djing when you started out ?
There wasn't anyone in particular but I was lucky enough to have the UK's biggest club (at the time) on my doorstep (The Syndicate in Blackpool) and they had every big DJ you could name on their from Armin to Guetta and I saw them all but it was one amazing night when Erick Morillo came to town and he played a very special set that had me dribbling in awe at the end.... THAT was who I wanted to be! 

3. What was your 1st dj set up ?
First DJ set... haha... 2 Numark T60 Direct Drives & a KAM mixer! It was a real starter package but on them I mastered the art of beat matching with vinyl, something that will be extinct soon with all the magic 'sync' buttons on DJ set ups! Makes me sound really old skool but it's such a shame that the skill of throwing a mix together on two records is out the window! 

4. Congratulations on winning the radio 1 superstar dj competition last year , how did it feel to win ?
Like I'd won the lottery! Literally... It was a feeling you don't get everyday! Out of hundreds of entrants, I won the whole thing and I still laugh to myself about it when I say it now. 

5. How has your life changed since winning the competition ?
I'd be lying if I said it didn't! It's given me a real leg up in what is such a saturated and brutal industry and a lot of people think that because I won, I have it easy now which is not true as I'm working harder than ever now to make sure I make the most of the amazing opportunity it's given me! 

6. What was your big tunes from 2011 ?
Biggest tune for me was Avicii - Levels and although I can't stand it anymore due to hearing it 1625372732638462 times... I played it at Ushuaia at the Radio 1 party in Ibiza and it went off and that was it... Every gig I played... I played that tune! 

7. Who were your favourite producers in 2011 ?
My favourite producers were Avicii & Bingo Players! Anything with their name on I loved! 

8. What can we expect from Danny Howard in 2012 ?
You can expect some bloody big tunes that I've been working hard on in the studio! My first release is out on Spinnin Records in March which I'm so happy about! They look after some big big DJs and I'm very proud to be associated with that! I've also just finished a rework of Tiesto - Adagio For Strings which I'm eventually going to give away free on my Facebook (facebook.com/dannyhowarddj), so keep an eye out for that. 

9. Any DJs you think we should keep an ear out for in 2012 ?
Yeah... Madeon! I saw him play in Hull for Radio 1's INMWT tour and he was simply amazing! He's 17 and looks quite the opposite to a superstar DJ/producer but this guy is going to be flying this year, I mean, he's supporting the Swedish House Mafia this summer... Doesn't get much bigger than that does it?!

10. Which artists/producers have stood out for you over the last few months ?
An obvious choice would be Nicky Romero. His productions have been huge and he's only going to get bigger. Another future star of 2012! 

11. Where can people see djing you over the next month or 2 ?
I'm playing in Coventry, Leicester, Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Dublin over the next couple of months and then another gig I can't wait for is The Honey Club in Brighton in April! 

12. What do you like to do when your not working to relax ?
Well I don't really have much time to relax! When I'm not working I'm either in the Gym, Playing football or chilling with my girlfriend! Other than that though I'm mostly in the studio or DJ'ing! It was my dream to do this job so I make sure I do it hard!! 

Finally a couple of fun question's that we are now adding to all of our interviews

13. What ringtone do you have on your phone right now ?
Standard iPhone ring tone BUT when I get a tweet... it's a bird tweeting! Probably a bit sad actually... 

14. What song is your "guilty pleasure" ?
My guilty pleasure is Prince - Kiss! Although I also like Pixie Lott! I'm also going to shut up now too :) 

15. Favourite tv programme as a kid ?
I used to love stuff like Topcat, The Flintstones & Keenan & Kel, then I used to go to bed at 7. Now I don't get in til 7... 
ONCE AGAIN A HUGE THANK YOU TO DANNY FOR THE INTERVIEW

HERES A CRACKING MIX FROM DANNY TO DOWNLOAD (don't forget to check out the rest of his soundcloud aswell)



No comments:

Post a Comment